The Budget Effect

Hey ya'll, I know it's been a hot minute since I wrote a post. Life has been incredibly busy! I am currently in the process of applying for graduate school, and I am finishing up a manuscript that will be published here in the next couple of months. What is particularly awesome is that this manuscript will be published in an open access journal, which means that all of you can read it for free online! I am super excited for this paper to come out. It has been over a year in the making. I've had so much support along the way, and I couldn't have done it without every single one of you! So many individuals have reached out to ask me about my research and give me the motivation I needed to keep trudging through the process. And for that, I thank you.

I also have a fantastic announcement. I have been talking to a number of different friends, family, and peers, and I have decided that it's time for me to write a cookbook! This has been a lifelong dream of mine, and I finally decided to make it a reality. I will keep you updated over the next couple of months about how it is coming along. My current thoughts think it might be best to have it in PDF form for people to purchase, as this will keep costs incredibly low, and allow it to reach people as fast as possible.


Another great feature I want to bring up is the addition of an email address for my blog and cookbook. If you have thoughts on what you want future posts to be about, have questions, or specific recipes you've seen me make that you want included in the cookbook, please contact me here. I will be checking it frequently. The point of all of this is to ensure that I am catering to all of your nutrition needs and questions! I would much rather write about what you want me to write about than subjects none of you are interested in. The email address is thenutritioneffect1@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Okay, now that that is over, lets get to the heart of this post. One of my jobs this summer is working with freshman orientation at my university. Incoming students come up to the university for the day, and we give them a wealth of information and allow them to ask whatever questions that are on their mind. One of the most common questions I receive regards eating healthy on a budget. I remember one student lamenting about how expensive healthy food is, but this isn't necessarily true for a number of reasons. The real problem lies in the culture surrounding the world today: speed, convenience, and health food tabloids. So the point of this post isn't really to give you nutritional information like a lot of my other posts--it's more of a 'here are lists and tips of inexpensive healthy foods to always have around' kind of posts. So without further ado, here are the lists!

Inexpensive Fruits and Vegetables:
-bananas
-apple
-potatoes
-carrots
-onions
-broccoli
-green bell peppers
-celery
-mushrooms
-winter vegetables: sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, parsnips, kale
-winter fruit: oranges, grapefruit, kiwi, pears, tangerines, clementines
-summer vegetables: red/yellow/orange bell peppers, corn, green beans, eggplant, cucumber, hot peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes
-summer fruit: apricots, cherries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew melon, grapes, plums, peaches

Inexpensive Proteins:
-beans
-tofu
-nuts
-peanut butter (NOT Nutella, sadly)
-seeds
-frozen peas
-canned tuna
-milk
-yogurt
-eggs
-cottage cheese
-grains such as: oats, quinoa, wheat, brown rice, barley, lentils, whole wheat pastas
-chicken breast
-ground beef
-lunch meat
-cheese

Inexpensive Snacks:
-crackers and cheese sticks
-crackers and peanut butter
-granola bars
-peanut butter and jelly sandwich
-apples and peanut butter
-yogurt and granola
-eggs and toast
-homemade trail mix
-smoothies: banana, milk, yogurt, spinach
-celery and peanut butter

I know for a fact that I haven't exhausted any of these lists, but these are the most common foods I am aware of to help save money. This post probably wasn't very exciting, but if any of you are like me and are trying to save some money, then hopefully it helped! Have a great week!


Sweet Potato Fries

I have a problem, and that problem is that I love sweet potato fries. Unfortunately, any restaurant or store you go to will only have fried sweet potato fries, when baked it much healthier and lower calorie. So I decided to figure out how to make them myself...and I ate a LOT of them. A LOT.

Anyways, here is the recipe!

Ingredients:
-1 medium sweet potato, cut into thin 'fry shapes'
-2 Tablespoons olive oil
-salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Toss the sliced sweet potato, olive oil, and salt and pepper in a bowl until combined.
3. Place a layer of tinfoil on a baking sheet, and spray nonstick spray on the tinfoil. Place the slices in a single layer on the tinfoil and place on the middle rack in the oven.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove rack from oven. Flip potato slices over, then replace in oven for another 10 minutes and enjoy your fries!

One thing I want to mention is leftovers. Fries always get soggy in the fridge overnight, whether they are baked or fried. I figured out a great way to crisp them up again. When you are ready to eat your leftover fries, preheat your oven to 450 and place them on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake the leftovers for about 10-15 minutes, turning once, and they will be deliciously crisp for you to enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts