The Vegetable Effect


Let's be real...I get asked a lot of nutrition questions. And if I'm not asked a question, I usually provide an explanation anyways. Like when I was cooking corn the other day and was voluntarily telling my roommate about all of the different pigments corn can have (anthocyanins, carotenoids, anthoxanthins...).

But in all seriousness, I do get asked a lot of questions. And one I get asked frequently is: "How do you make vegetables taste good?"

This is a very good question, and it has baffled dietitians and nutritionists for years. In my opinion, there is absolutely no point in eating vegetables if you are going to hate them. There is no need to have your diet taste like plants if you're going to lose a sense of satisfaction from your food. You might as well do as I said last week and eat a diet entirely made of chocolate cake because that will be more fun that eating stuff you don't like.

Saying this, we really should all eat vegetables. The FDA recommends about 5 servings of vegetables a day. And a serving of vegetables is not an entire vegetable (meaning that you do not have to eat an entire head of lettuce to get one serving). One serving of leafy greens (i.e. your lettuce, kale, romaine, spinach, etc) is one cup, while one serving of your other vegetables is 1/2 cup. However, if you pack the leafy greens tightly into a measuring cup, one serving would approximate 1/2 cup.

That's it. All you need is to eat 2 1/2 cups of vegetables every day. Though I definitely just felt some of you shudder at the prospect, have no fears! I am going to help you get realize that getting that many vegetables in every day isn't really all that hard. Why? Because I'm not only going to teach you how to make vegetables tasty, but also some fun ways to hide your vegetables. That's right. I'm going to treat us adults like we are children because I have this theory that adults hate vegetables just as much as kids...they just feel a sense of grown-up duty and eat them anyways.

But why do we need vegetables? Why do health professionals recommend eating them anyways? Because vegetables contain almost every single nutrient we need. You know those vitamins and minerals I spent almost a year discussing? With the exception of a select few, vegetables have all of those! Not to mention fiber, protein, and carbohydrates. If you were stranded on a desert island and only have vegetables to eat, you would last a long time. If you didn't stop eating them because you had no way to make them taste good. If I was stranded on an island and all I had to eat was raw spinach I honestly don't think I would make it.


And that makes a great segway for me to admit something...there is only one vegetable that I will eat plain and in its raw state: carrots. That's it. Just one vegetable. And yet, I eat my 2.5 cups almost every day. What does this mean? That I know how to make vegetables taste good. So here are a few of the ways I like to make my vegetables:

1. Roasted: Chop up root vegetables (i.e. potatoes of any kind, carrots, parsnips, beets) and toss with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with your seasoning of choice. My favorite seasonings are: simple salt and pepper, garlic and rosemary, or dry Ranch dressing packets. Roast at 425 degree Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes, stirring halfway through. These vegetables go great as a side dish with most meals or as a snack with a handful of cashews.

2. Dips: I think people tend to underestimate the power of vegetable dips. I know some health professionals might claim that they add unnecessary calories and fat content, but I would much rather someone eat vegetables with dip than not eat them at all. When I eat my least favorite raw vegetables (broccoli, bell peppers, and cucumbers), I have to have dip or I will complain the whole time. Dips are very versatile and come in all flavors and types. I like the dry ones you add liquid to or the pre-made ones at the store.

One dip that is becoming more and more popular is hummus. In terms of nutritional value, hummus definitely beats out the other dip contenders. Since it is made from garbanzo beans, hummus has a lot of fiber, protein, and mineral content.

3. Smoothies: I know that 'green' smoothies aren't quite as popular as they were a couple of years ago, but they are one of the easiest ways to get vegetables in without even tasting them. However, if the desire is to not taste the vegetable, then you need to be picky about which vegetable you choose. Any vegetable that has a strong taste will overpower any other flavor you add. Which means that anybody who says they like raw kale in their smoothie is probably lying...

Anyways, I've found that the best contender for smoothies is spinach. Yes, it's going to turn your smoothie a funky color. Yes, you're going to become 'that' person (the one who eats vegetables for breakfast). But guess what. You will get your 2.5 cups of vegetables in.

4. Salads: Next week's post is going to be all about how to create a perfect salad, so I won't go into much detail here. Just know that s
alads are one of the simplest and most versatile ways to eat your greens. I never get tired of salad.

5. Add-ins: This is probably my most favorite way to get my vegetables...add them in to whatever you are already eating. Spaghetti? Add in some spinach and mushrooms.. Tacos? Add in some lettuce, peppers, corn, and shredded carrots. Sweet and sour chicken? Add in some onions, bell peppers, green beans, and broccoli.

What makes this way so easy is one simple fact: you literally already have a meal made. You are just simply adding in some more nutritional value. And the best part is? Most other foods already have a sauce or flavoring to give to your vegetables. That way you don't have to rack your brains to figure out a way to make them taste better! Seasoning is one of the hardest things about cooking, so I try to avoid it when I can.

6. Sandwiches: I know that a lot of sandwiches have lettuce added to them, but have you ever thought about adding other vegetables? I love adding shredded carrots, sprouts, avocado (though this is 'technically' a fruit...), and tomatoes.

If you like warm sandwiches (like grilled cheeses), have no fear! I have ideas for those, too. I actually found this one out at work when I was making food for my break (a Five Guys grilled cheese) and realized I forgot to bring any vegetables to accompany my sandwich for lunch! I decided I needed to get veggies in somehow, and realized that Five Guys only has two things in their store: meat and vegetables. So I took some of our cooked mushrooms, onions, and green peppers and put them inside of my grilled cheese. Let me tell you...this is one of the most delicious things my mouth has ever had the pleasure of tasting. I can't eat a normal grilled cheese anymore! And to think it all started because I forgot to bring vegetables with me to work.

Long story short: don't lose hope when it comes to vegetables. There are ways to make them delicious! Because of these suggestions I gave you, there are now times when I actually crave vegetables. The 2.5 cups is no longer hard for me because I recognize the versatility of vegetables and know how to use them. I hope all of you can find your favorite way of making vegetables and stick to it!

Comments

Popular Posts