The Copper Effect


By show of hands, who didn't know that we need copper in our body? I know my hand is up. It was surprising to me last fall when I learned that we do actually need copper. I always imagined copper as something needed for conductivity and heat, not for the daily functions of the human body.

What's interesting about copper is that not a lot is known about how it is absorbed into our body. We know that it is absorbed in the small intestine in a similar manner as iron, but the exact mechanism isn't known. We do know, however, that it is easier for copper to enter the bloodstream when it is attached to an amino acid, especially those containing sulfur.

Since copper typically attaches itself to amino acids, many of its functions involve proteins and enzymes. What most of copper-containing substances do is reduce damage of free radicals. If you don't remember what free radicals are, they are the 'bad guys' of the body, and are unstable charged particles. These free radicals are stabilized through a process called oxidation, which involves removing electrons from an atom or molecule.

Though we do have some charged particles in our body, like sodium and chloride, the charge on these molecules actually make them more stable. Some molecules, like oxygen, are most stable when they have no charge.

But the element copper works with most is iron. Iron is one of those molecules that is more stable with a charge, specifically a large positive charge. One specific copper enzyme, ceruloplasmin, changed iron from a +2 charge to a +3 charge. This charge allows iron to exit the cells and enter the bloodstream. Without copper, iron would accumulate in the cells, and iron-deficiency anemia (lack of iron in the blood) can occur. And that causes a whole host of problems that aren't fun to deal with. Just read my post on iron to get a small taste of them.

Besides the oxidation of free radicals, copper also is involved in energy production and the synthesis of connective tissue. Connective tissue is spread throughout the entire body by connecting (crazy, right?) organs, nerves, and muscles to each other. When a child is developing inside of the womb, connective tissue is one of the first things to develop; this tissue is what differentiates into more complicated tissues and systems in the body. What starts out as an undifferentiated mass of cells eventually turns into our organs, blood (which is a type of connective tissue), and different body systems (immune, digestive, cardiovascular, etc).

I know that was a lot of information, but I wanted to describe the importance of connective tissue so it is easier to understand the function of copper in our daily lives. Without it, our body's would literally just fall apart; there would be nothing to keep all of our tissues together. I don't know about you, but I would really appreciate it if my skin stayed intact. 

Thankfully, such an important mineral is found in a wide variety of foods. Organ meats, such as liver, are the best sources of copper, but since I don't know a single person who actually enjoys eating these meats, I guess I should tell you some of the other sources...


-seafood
-nuts and seeds
-bran and whole grain products
-cocoa
-potatoes
-milk
-chicken

The last three items on the list (potatoes, milk, chicken) are actually low in copper. But since we eat them in such large amounts, they are considered to be excellent sources and contribute significantly to our copper intake. And since these foods are freaking delicious, I am glad to hear that they also help keep my skin intact. Especially potatoes. I eat a lot of baked potatoes. What makes this picture funny is that I am actually from Idaho.

Anyways, I hope I have shed some light on copper and not made it too complicated. Copper is not just for metal pans and wires anymore. Which leads me to the ultimate question: are humans electrical conductors? I believe the answer is yes. 


Comments

Popular Posts