The Vitamin B Effect (part 2)

Just like last week, we are going to zoom through some of the B vitamins. There are only four left. Two of these four will be quick and painless to read (and write), but the other two are some of the more important B vitamins for reasons I will explain shortly. So if it seems like I am spending way too much time on the last two…I definitely am. Not that the first two aren’t important, but they are very similar to the other vitamins we have talked about. On the other hand, the last two are unique.

Biotin (Vitamin B7)

Based off of last week’s post, it probably poses no surprise to you that Biotin is involved in the production of energy. Specifically, Biotin aids the body in producing ATP from non-carbohydrate sources such as fatty and amino acids. Biotin also creates specific compounds that are essential to each step in the cycle. If you weren’t eating enough Biotin, you would definitely notice—our metabolism is greatly impaired without this necessary vitamin.

Talking about B vitamins and energy is old news, but here is something that makes Biotin unique from all the rest: it is also known as the “beauty vitamin”. Though Biotin won’t change facial features and such, it does keep your hair and nails healthy and strong. If you walk up and down the shampoo aisle, or even watch a shampoo commercial, you will most likely see or hear Biotin mentioned at some point. At least in female commercials. I don’t think men really care what kind of shampoo they buy. But that’s just my experience growing up with brothers. I also question whether there is a legal amount of biotin inside of this woman's shampoo. That just looks like a lot of effort.

But if biotin in your shampoo isn’t enough for you, there are a few foods that contain it naturally. One of these is peanuts!!! I love peanuts. They are cheap, filling, and can go in almost anything. I always try to have some on hand.

If you aren’t a fan of peanuts (or have an allergy), whole grains, egg yolks, and fish also contain Biotin. As do liver and organ meats. But in my almost twenty years of life, I have yet to meet somebody who actually likes liver. If you are an adventurous eater, however, you may like it. But probably not.

Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
Yeah…it’s just easier to say “Vitamin B6”

Vitamin B6 is a bit different from other B vitamins because though it has a roll in metabolism, it is not a direct roll—this does not lessen its importance, however. Vitamin B6 is a coenzyme. I know. That term is making you think far back into the recesses of your memory to tenth grade biology. I took a physiology class last semester, and I don’t think coenzymes were even mentioned. Unless I missed it. Which is 100% possible. I do know, however, that my AP biology teacher went over it quite frequently back in high school.

Anyways, here is my simple explanation of a coenzyme that involves as little science as possible. But enough science to make our body sound like a total Bad-A. Which it totally is.

Enzymes are proteins in the body that speed up chemical reactions. Without enzymes, it would take weeks to digest food and gain the energy you need to perform daily tasks. Enzymes also have substances called substrates that act like keys that enable enzymes to work. Specific substrates go to specific enzymes, just like specific keys go to specific doors.

But where do coenzymes come in? If we continue with the metaphor that enzymes are doors, and substrates are keys, then coenzymes are the doormen that make it easier to enter the house (or perform a specific function in the body). Coenzymes provide that last little push the enzyme needs to start working. Just as a doorman provides that push to let you inside. Or, if you are poor (like myself), and can’t afford to have somebody open your doors for you, then you yourself are the doorman.

Without the key and the push to get inside of a door, you are stuck outside. Similarly, without the substrate and the coenzyme to activate the enzyme, you are stuck with slow chemical reactions.

This is why Vitamin B6 is so important! If our body’s enzymes didn’t perform their proper metabolic functions, we would die of starvation. Our bodies wouldn’t digest the food in time to make the energy we need to survive. Isn’t that an odd thing to think about? Dying of starvation when your stomach is full? Kind of eerie.

Thankfully, something like this will never happen to you. Why? Because Vitamin B6, similar to Pantothenic Acid, is found everywhere! It is easy to meet your daily needs. Like I always say, nature totally has our backs. And our stomachs.

Folate (Vitamin B9)

This may come as a surprise to all of you, but a B vitamin that has nothing to do with energy production does, in fact, exist.

All of you mothers have probably heard of folate—most prenatal vitamins are chock full of this it. The reason for this is the role Folate plays in neural tube development, which occurs in the first couple weeks of pregnancy—often even before the mother knows she is pregnant. The neural tube encompasses the baby’s spine, brain, and skull. Clearly, if these things aren’t properly developed in early pregnancy, then the infant will have birth defects. Many doctors and dietitians prescribe a prenatal supplement to females who are trying to get pregnant. That way, if they do get pregnant (and most don’t know for at least a couple of weeks), then they are sure to have the folate the child needs for proper development during that time period.


On top of this, folate also creates the amino acids needed for your DNA. Though I may complain about some of my genetic traits, I am extremely glad that my body is able to copy my DNA exactly the same every time. If this process was disrupted, I would experience mutations and ill effects, as my body wouldn’t be able to create and maintain new cells. And if you intend to live a long and healthy life, new cells are critical.

Because of the significant and unique jobs folate has, the FDA requires that cereals and grains be enriched with it. But if pastas and breads aren’t your favorite things, dark leafy vegetables, beans, and seeds are also high in folate. Being a vegetarian, I eat beans like most people eat chocolate. And I also eat chocolate like most people eat chocolate.

Anyways, I have a couple of tips to make sure you get enough folate, especially for females:

1.       Always have beans in the fridge. Every week I open up a can of beans, put them in a container, and put them in the fridge. That way you can add beans to whatever you are eating. I add them to salads, soups, sauces, quesadillas, or whatever else I happen to be making that day. Folate becomes less of a worry if you develop this habit.

2.       I know all you low-carb people out there may not like this suggestion, but eat cereal and/or bread every day. Though I do eat cereal in a bowl often (usually as a late night meal), you can be more creative than that. I throw a handful of cereal into my yogurt to add a bit of crunch, use it in homemade trail mixes, or use it as a finger food when snacking.
Hopefully these tips were useful!

Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)

Alright. Here we are. The last B vitamin I am going to discuss. Vitamin B12 and folate happen to go hand in hand; so much so that they activate each other. Vitamin B12 activates folate, and the activation of folate, in turn, activates Vitamin B12. Basically, what I am trying to say, is that Vitamin B12 and folate are the nutrition world’s power couple.

Due to how intertwined they are, Vitamin B12 has similar functions to those of folate. Vitamin B12 allows folate to synthesize amino acids because it is essential for the intermediary steps between a compound and the final product, an amino acid. By extension, without Vitamin B12, DNA synthesis would be impossible—without amino acids, we have no DNA. Which means we don’t exist. Which means animals don’t exist. Which means a number of existential things I really don’t want to get into.

One unique thing about Vitamin B12 (which has nothing to do with folate) is its involvement in the nervous system. Though folate is important for the health of the nervous system (due to its involvement in brain development), its functions are completely separate from that of Vitamin B12. Our nerves have something called the ‘myelin sheath’ wrapped around them that not only protect the nerves, but speed up the signals as they move throughout our body. Nerves without the myelin sheath, just like chemical reactions without enzymes, will eventually do their jobs…it just takes a lot longer. It’s basically the difference between Usain Bolt running the one-hundred meter dash (9.63 seconds) and me running the one-hundred meter dash (probably like 30 seconds…?). We all want the Usain Bolt nerves in our lives. Slow and steady does NOT win the race in this case.

As a vegetarian, I have a different perspective of Vitamin B12 than most people. And not just because I’m a nerd and study these things. The best sources of Vitamin B12 are found in meat and animal products. I have to make sure I eat enough dairy to make up for the lack of meat in my diet. A lot of companies are starting to fortify their soy products with Vitamin B12 as well, so if you like soy milk and tofu (both of which are always in my fridge), you are set. And if you like meat, which the vast majority of people do, then have no fears. In general, only vegetarians and vegans need to worry about their Vitamin B12 consumption. Whenever I get frustrated with the amount of dairy I have to eat, I just keep reminding myself that I am shooting to be a Usain Bolt, not a Megan Jensen, in my Vitamin B12 consumption. The myelin sheath is just too important!

Now that all of the B vitamins are covered, I feel like we come to the end of an era. I know I just spewed a lot of information at all of you the past couple of weeks, but it all comes down to one thing: eating whole grains and vegetables; with the exception of maybe one or two, all of the B vitamins are found in these two foods. So eat up! Carbs are so good. 


Here are the carbs I ate for dinner the other night...there were almonds on top of my sundae, so there were obviously an overwhelming amount of B vitamins in my meal. Also, as a side note, I do not suggest ingesting that much ice cream if your body is not used to a lot of sugar. It took a couple of days for my body to start feeling normal again...

Comments

Popular Posts